Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tijuana Makes Me Happy

Two days before I arrived in Tijuana, a car chase ended with a pick-up truck crashing into the international airport. There was a shoot-out resulting in at least one death and from what I read there were drug dealers involved. I had no idea about this until I was back across the border in San Diego. Good thing, 'cause when I arrived at the same airport I already had all sorts of images of severed heads and duct taped federalis dancing in my head. Despite all of the negative press this town has been getting recently, I was determined to keep and open mind. I had a great time and now I'll have some street cred back in Calabasas.



I borrowed the title of this post from a song title from TJ's hippest export, Nortec Collective. If you want to understand this multi-faceted border town, you must listen to this electronic music collective. As their name suggests, they mix traditional Norteño music with modern day techno beats.

The Evolution of Nortec
1800’s – German and Polish farmers arrive in Northern Mexico introducing the accordion and polka to musicians.

1920’s -Prohibition brings American fun-seekers to Tijuana. The abundance of opportunity draws musicians from all over Mexico and exposes local musicians to new styles.

1962 A young Herb Alpert travels to Tijuana to watch a bullfight. He is inspired by the horns of a mariachi band and incorporates a live recording of the crowd into his hit tune “The Lonely Bull.”

1972 -Los Tigres del Norte release their first single "Contrabando y Traición" (Contraband and Betrayal). With more than 30 albums released since, the group is one of the most influential within the genre and continues to be a cultural force.

1980’s –Tambora, a form of norteño music from Sinaloa characterized accented horns, tuba and songs about the life of drug lords is popularized by the narco (drug-running) culture in Tijuana.

1999 - Electronic aritsts Fussible, Bostich, Clorofila, Hipoboreal and Panoptica join together to form the Nortec Collective.
Sources: Pepe Mogt aka Fussible, www.EMPlive.org, www.fonovisa.com