Sunday, June 22, 2008

Foreigner in Stereo

I wanna know what love iiiiiiiis and I want you to show me!
In case you were wondering, "Foreigner Unplugged" is even better in a pimped out Guadalajara Taxi cab. Thursday I was lucky enough to hitch a ride with Aaron, the coolest taxista this side of the Sierra Madres. Not only did he have a sweet DVD player and a mountain of music videos at the ready, but he also had enough woofers and tweeters and the like to provide a true surround sound experience.
During the Foreigner portion of the trip he turned to me and said, "Do you know who sings this song? These are some great lyrics."
Indeed, Aaron, indeed.



I'm often asked what it is that brings me to Mexico over and over again. I usually reply with some lame answer like, "Tequila!" or "Beans!" But, after Thursday I think I"m closer to my answer. This country has some of the best free entertainment you could ever imagine. After my cab ride, I took a bus home and was treated to a serenade by this adorable blind girl whose guitar was held together with duct tape. Her voice was clear, sincere and it took my breath away.